Monday, September 12, 2011

9.12.11

Hello all!  Sorry I have been not so great at updating the past couple of days...last week was a waaaay busy week for me!  Then, (as you know), I was out for 2 days.  What you may not know though, is WHY I was out on Thursday...

I shared with the students today that I am having a baby!  I am due in April so this should not affect our school year much and I should be back to finish the last week of school with our students.  This is an exciting time for my family and I and I hope to have you sharing in our joy as well!  Please know that I look forward to continuing to devote every ounce of my energy towards your student's success in learning and mastery of our content, regardless of a little sweetpea growing within me :)

Anyway, onto our activities for our Manic Monday...
WRITING:
We are learning the difference between common and proper nouns.  We already know that nouns are a part of speech that recognize a person, place, or thing, but we are learning that basic nouns such as pencil, desk, pen, calendar, school, bus, car, paper, etc. are common nouns and do not need a capitalization.  However, nouns such as a person's name (Mrs. Thomas, Ashley, Mr. Kirk, etc.) need to be capitalized because they are a proper noun.  Also needing capitalization are things like specific places such as King's Island, Holiday World, Deep Springs Elementary, Kentucky,  Lexington, etc., as well as days of the week or months.
HOMEWORK: complete "Common and Proper Nouns" worksheet

READING:
This week, our focus of study is upon how a character's mood can change through a story.  We read the play, "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" (which is a short synopsis of the book) and discussed how Peter changed from the beginning of the story to the end.  We also wrote down our
vocabulary words for the week:
reluctantly
gross
client
insult
vanish

Our WOW! Words this week are:
insinuated
mellifluous
exaggerate
vehement
rendezvous

HOMEWORK: Begin studying SPELLING and DEFINITIONS of VOCABULARY words.  TEST IS FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2011!

SCIENCE:
Students got to participate in a WebQUEST with Ms. Frederick and then watch a "Planet Earth" video.
HOMEWORK: none

MATH:
We worked on estimation and rounding to the nearest tens, hundreds, thousands, and ten-thousands.  We also worked on determining if an estimate is reasonable and justifying our thinking. 
HOMEWORK: completed in class.

REMINDERS:
Tomorrow is MAP testing for our class!!! So all students need to be here on time and ready to roll!  I know we will ROCK this test!
Parent Night (Open House) is THIS Wednesday, September 14, 2011.
HIGH ATTENDANCE DAY is THURSDAY, September 15, 2011.  We NEED ALLLLL DSE students here and ON TIME so we can be the school with the highest attendance in Fayette County!

Let's keep working on our behavior!  Thank you to K.P., H.S., V.A., and T.M. for being our SUB SUPERSTARS!!!  You folks ROCK our SOCKS off and we are so proud that you're a part of our class and representing us so well!!!

I love each of you and missed you so much while I was out!
xoxo,
Mrs. Thomas

Can you tell what this says?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment